Sukhumvit Road is the commercial centre of Bangkok and is lined on either side with international brand hotels, shopping malls and nightlife hotspots. Popular with Bangkok’s expat community and travellers to the city, Sukhumvit runs from the downtown area of Nana at one end to the suburban district of Bearing at the other.
We’ve put together our list of top ten attractions in Sukhumvit. Whether you are travelling with your family or want to get more of a feel of the creative or historical side of Bangkok, then Sukhumvit has traditional houses and art galleries as well.
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Thonburi Klongs & Grand Palace Morning Excursion
- Floating Markets Cycling & Boat Tour
- Private Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha & Reclining Buddha Morning Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Safari World & Marine Park Full-Day Tour With Buffet Lunch
- Muay Thai Live Performance
Terminal 21 is a shopping mall with a great theme that recreates several world-famous cities under one roof. Find yourself wandering around a maze of shops in Tokyo City, sauntering down London’s Carnaby Street, bagging a bargain in an Istanbul zouk, or shopping for something to fill your growling stomach at the Fisherman’s Wharf in San Francisco. The nine floors at Terminal 21 are all a different location, and the main hall is designed like an airport departures zone. This fun mall houses some 600 shops, a Cineplex, and a food court with all kinds of mouth-watering Thai and international fare. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00-22:00
- Location: Sukhumvit Road (between Soi 19 and 21)
- MRT: Sukhumvit
- BTS: Asok (direct access via Skywalk)
Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok waited a long time for its very own rooftop bar, and then finally one came along and showed the rest of them how it should really be done. Octave Rooftop and Lounge is more than a place for watching the sunset or having a romantic meal. No rooftop bar in the city has a 360 degree view of Bangkok that matches this, and the top floor of this three level venue is the highest spot in the city for a party. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 17:00 until 01:00
- Location: Sukhumvit - 45th Floor, Marriott 57 Hotel
- BTS: Thong Lor
- Address: 45/F, Marriott Hotel Sukhumvit, 2 Sukhumvit Soi 57, Bangkok
- Tel: +66 (0)2 7970000
Soi Cowboy was named after the cowboy hat-wearing African-American who opened the first bar here in the early 1970s, this red-light district has a more laid-back, carnival-like feel to it than Patpong or Nana Plaza. Flashing neon lights up a colourful streetscape comprised mainly of middle-aged expats, Japanese and western tourists, and of course a lot of sexily dressed girls. With cries of 'helloooa, welcome!' the latter try to lure you into one of the 20 or so A go-go bars that line its sides... don't be shy, it's pretty easy going and open-minded, entry is always free and drink prices are fixed. Read More...
- Location: Located just opposite of Terminal 21 and less than 100 metres from Sukhumvit Road, between Asoke Road and Sukhumvit Soi 23 (the nearest Skytrain station is Asoke, or MRT station Sukhumvit).
- MRT: Sukhumvit Station
- BTS: Asok
It is hard to believe that somewhere as calm and green as Baan Kamthieng House Museum is located just next to Asoke, one of the busiest junctions on Sukhumvit, surrounded by towering hotels, condos and in the shadow of Terminal 21 shopping centre. The setting of this renovated teak house feels more like the northern Thai village it originated in rather than the middle of a concrete jungle. Well renovated with interesting displays, a visit here will give you a great insight into traditional rural life. It is not worth making a long trip just to see it unless you are passionate about Thai history, but do take a peek if you find yourself in the area. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 09:00 – 17:00 (Tuesday to Saturday)
- Location: 131 Thanon Asok Montri, Sukhumvit Soi 21 (nearly MRT station Sukhumvit and BTS station Asoke)
- MRT: Sukhumvit
- BTS: Asoke
- Tel: +66 (0)2 661 6470
Built in 1992 to celebrate Queen Sirikit's 60th birthday, Benjasiri Park is often referred to as 'Queen's Park'. This is definitely the place to be for sculpture lovers, as several of the best examples of Thai sculpture are scattered around the park. The centrepiece fountain, showcasing the work of master sculptor Mesium Yipinsoy, feature multimedia 'water dance' shows three times daily (at 6:00, 12:00 and 18:00). Although the central pond is not big enough to support paddle boats, Benjasiri Park offers outdoor sports facilities rarely found at other public parks, including a basketball court, roller skating/skateboarding rink, tennis court, outdoor swimming pool and a multi-purpose court for volleyball and sepak takraw. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 05:00 - 21:00 daily
- Location: Next to the Emporium Shopping Centre, Sukhumvit 23
- BTS: Phrom Phong
Laser games in Bangkok have been few and far between in recent years so when Lazgam opened we were happy to have a family friendly, all-weather activity to try. Games last 15 minutes and really get the heart racing. Located on the fifth floor of the Holiday Inn Sukhumvit, Lazgam Bangkok is spread out across two floors within a maze of walls and partitions. There are several types of game to play but the most common are Teams, red vs blue, or Solo Play, which means every man for himself. Other game types include Alien Invasion when one player starts as the alien and has to shoot people to turn them into aliens too. Lazgam Bangkok is open to anyone aged 7 and over. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 12:00-22:00
- BTS: Asok or Phrom Phong
- Address: 5th floor Holiday Inn Sukhumvit Hotel, Sukhumvit Soi 22
- Tel: Asok or Phrom Phong
Dinosaur Planet Bangkok is a theme park dedicated to prehistoric beasts, from the snarling T-rex to packs of Velociraptors. Opening in 2016, the amusement park will be located in the Phrom Phong area of Sukhumvit and will feature up to 200 life size models of popular dinosaurs. This promises to be very popular a place to photograph yourself with these long extinct beasts, and the construction of these models is incredibly impressive. Read More...
- Location: Sukhumvit Road, Phrom Phong (next to Benjasiri Park)
- BTS: Phrom Phong/Thong Lor
Escape Hunt Bangkok is located directly across from Terminal 21 Shopping Mall in Interchange 21 Tower. It is essentially a live puzzle game in which your group of two to five players have to piece together evidence against the clock. The game is designed for anyone aged seven and over, and is a great activity for a families, friends or co-workers to play. There are six games at Escape Hunt, with four game rooms onsite and two different scenarios to play: two Asian rooms and two European, meaning if you come as a group of more than five, you can play head-to-head to see who can solve the mystery quickest. The entire premises are wheelchair accessible and games are bilingual so it is suitable for Thais and foreigners to play together. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 09:30 - 20:30 (first game at 10:00, last game at 19:00)
- BTS: Asok (direct access via Skywalk)
- Address: Interchange 21 Building (Citibank), Level B2, Asok Intersection
- Tel: +66 (0) 2611 2827
A simulation flight is an extra-special gift for everyone, from young children who dream of being pilots to those who have a passion for planes, and according to research it can even help those who are scared of flying find their wings. The experience feels so realistic that the cockpit in Bangkok has even been used in films and TV shows, and although it isn’t a bargain, it still costs significantly less than in Australia or Europe. Read More...
- Location: Gateway Ekamai, 2nd Floor, Sukumvit road, Klong Toey, Phra Khanong, Bangkok
- MRT: Queen Sirikit National Convention Center
- BTS: Ekamai
- Tel: +66 (0)2 048 9922, +66 (0)84 614 2694 and +66 (0)92 529 4616
Both kids and adults will love Kidzoona at Molly Fantasy on the 5th floor of Gateway Shopping Mall. Whether it’s too hot or too rainy to be outside in Bangkok, it’s the perfect place for younger children to let off some steam, with a soft play area, inflatable slides, an overly pink merry go round and trucks and trikes to speed around on. Prices start at 180 baht for children and there is a flat rate of 90 baht for adults, giving you all-day access to the play area. Kids aged over 12 years old are not permitted, but if you are coming with teens there are some arcade games at the entrance to Molly Fantasy that will keep them entertained for a while, as well as the Japanese inspired mall to explore. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10.00 – 21.00
- BTS: Ekkamai
- Address: Gateway Mall, Ekkamai, Sukhumvit Road
- Tel: +66 (0)2 108265052