Bangkok’s nightlife isn’t all rowdy and naughty. On the opposite side of the spectrum, the city’s got a fascinating lineup of cool and classy jazz bars ideal for whiling away the hours in style. These top 8 venues below are the crème de la crème of the Bangkok’s jazz bar scene, featuring some of the most talented local and international artists on a nightly basis.
Saxophone PubVictory Monument
This local expat favourite has reached a legendary status. It delivers consistently good music, food and service with a different jazz band every night playing a combination of jazz, blues and old classics. The cosy interior is bedecked with jazz paraphernalia, record labels and framed posters of jazz maestros, with a mezzanine level overlooking the entire stage area from above. Packed on weekends. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 17:00 - 02:00
- Address: 3/8 Phayathai Road Victory Monument
- Tel: +66 (0)2 246 5472
Since 1985, Brown Sugar has been serving Bangkok's live music fans and has never failed to give everybody a good time. After 26 years of great service, Brown Sugar has now moved from Sarasin Rd. to Phrasumen Rd. - a bigger home. The club is open during the day as a restaurant and coffee house, and at night for nice cold beers with live music 7 days a week. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Tue - Thu, Sun 17:00 - 01:00, Fri - Sat 17:00 - 02:00
- Address: 469 Wanchad Junction, Phrasumen rd., Bawornniwet
- Tel: +66 (0)2 282 0396
Bamboo BarRiverside - Mandarin Oriental
An international legend, The Mandarin Oriental's Bamboo Bar is considered by discerning jazz fanatics to be the best live jazz spot in town. The sandy tones, palm fronds and furry patterns of the interior lend it a relaxing jungle-theme ambiance that oozes class, sophistication and style. An upmarket but interesting crowd works the intimate setting, all enjoying the internationally acclaimed jazz singers and bands on its books. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Sun - Thu 17:00 - 01:00 (live jazz 21:00 - 00:00), Fri - Sat 16:00 - 02:00 (live jazz 21:00 - 01:00)
- Address: Mandarin Oriental Bangkok, Charoen Krung Soi 40, Oriental Ave, Bang Rak
- Tel: +66 (0)2 659 9000
The Living RoomSukhumvit (Asok)
Set in a relaxed, cosy atmosphere on the first floor of the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, this is a big, stylish venue that hosts a top-notch jazz band or musician every night. Alongside the jazz talent, great wines, cocktails and champagnes help get things shuffling. On Sundays there's a 'Jazzy Brunch Buffet' between 11:30 and 15:00. Book well ahead. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 09:00 - 00:00 (daily)
- Address: Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, 250 Sukhumvit Road, Asok
- Tel: +66 (0)2 649 8888
Jazz HappensPhra Atit Road (Khaosan)
Bohemian hang out for night owls who want more from a live band than simple pop music covers, Jazz Happens is perhaps the most famous bar on Phra Atit Road. It was set up by a group of lecturers from the nearby Silapakorn University to provide their students somewhere to play and listen to quality jazz music. This cheap and cheerful bar and offers a more personal experience than the bigger jazz clubs scattered around Bangkok.
- Opening Hours: 18:30 – 01:00
- Address: 62 Phra Athit Road
- Tel: +66 (0)2 282 9934, +66 (0)84 450 0505
Diplomat BarChidlom - Conrad Hotel
This elegant, upscale hotel bar in the heart of Bangkok's embassy district makes the perfect haunt for the sophisticated and glamorous. Beautifully lit, its soft silk couches, striking round bar and wood interiors make for a very classy cocktail ambiance. A jazz singer croons every night except Sundays. The cocktail and wine lists are suitably inspiring.
- Opening Hours: Sun - Thu 07:00 - 01:00, Fri - Sat 07:00 - 02:00
- BTS: Ploenchit
- Address: The Conrad Hotel, 87 Wireless Road, Phatumwan
- Tel: +66 (0)2 690 9999
The Glaz BarChidlom - Plaza Athenee Hotel
Glaz Bar is where chic and contemporary take centre stage. The interiors blend deep green marble floors, blue downlights and jet-black shiny surfaces. This is where classy can also be cool. A favourite haunt among the sophisticated, Glaz Bar boasts a creative selection of cocktails, Thai-inspired Tapas and snacks, accompanied by live jazz performances by international artists every night except Sundays.
- Opening Hours: 07:00 - 01:00 daily
- BTS: Ploenchit
- Address: Plaza Athenee Bangkok, 61 Wireless Road (Witthayu), Lumpini, Pathumwan
- Tel: +66 (0)2 650 8800 EXT. 4324
The Iron FairiesSukhumvit (Thonglor)
The Iron Fairies is a bar/ironsmith workshop where you can savour the taste of dreams and imagination through its heady mix of cocktails, wine and lingering live jazz tunes. Its dimly lit interiors work wonders to enhance the magic of the place, especially when the spotlight shines on the singer as she descends slowly from the centrepiece metal spiral staircase. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 18:00 – 02:00
- Address: 402 Soi Thonglor, Sukhumvit 55
- Tel: +66 (0)99 918 1600, +66 (0)63 901 1106