Some of Bangkok's best-kept secrets are found in local markets. They offer an array of items at very low prices, and quite often contain the friendliest variety of Thai people. A few markets listed are a bit of a hike to the outer edge of Bangkok, although this is where the friendliest deals on a large variety of items are usually made. Local markets listed include Klong Toey, Ying Charoen (Saphan Mai), Minburi, Major Ratchoyothin, Or Tor Kor, and Khlong San
Food Markets in Bangkok
Khlong Toey Market
Khlong Toey is a very 'fresh' market, offering low prices on raw meat, seafood, farm produce, and a few other items (clothing, kitchenware, etc). A small, hidden village deep within the Bangkok concrete jungle, this extensive market seems to have a life of its own. Quaintly tucked away within a grimy city block and practically unnoticable from busy Rama IV Road, a pleasantly unexpected, laid-back environment lies within. Some sections can get a bit bloody, and if you're squemish, no worries, as not all sections are strictly filled with raw meat. If you still have an appetite, a few food stalls serve Thai curries and other local staples.
- Opening Hours: 06:00 - 02:00
- MRT: Klong Toey
- How to get there: Take the MRT subway to Klong Toey station, exit up the escalators and then walk east on Thang Rakfaiko / Rama IV Road for ten minutes until you reach the large intersection of Rama IV and Narong Road. The market will be on your right-hand side. Or, you can take bus numbers 45, 46, 72, 102, or 107 to the area.
Or Tor Kor Market
Ranked the 4th best fresh market in the world by a famous travel guide, Or Tor Kor is so much more than a local market. Products displayed here are selected among the best found in the entire country. With such an incredible range of beautiful fruits, extremely fresh vegetables, meats and seafood, Or Tor Kor should Read More...
- Opening Hours: 06:00 - 20:00 (every day)
- Location: Kamphaengphet Road, opposite Chatuchak Weekend Market
- MRT: Kamphaeng Phet
- How to get there: Take the MRT subway to Kamphaeng Phet station. Exit number three, and you're in the market.
Suan Plu Market
Nestled in the middle of Suan Plu is this part indoor market that is commonly frequented by locals who buy their fish, meat, fruit, vegetables and home cleaning products here. The market is also a great place to pick up flowers and is a good way to get better acquainted with the city and its dwellers. Opposite here there are numerous street vendors, after wandering around the market-place it is always nice to proceed with a bowl of super tasty, 35 baht noodles.
- Opening Hours: 10:00-22:00
- Location: Suan Plu