Bangkok Riverside Shopping
Where to Shop and What to Buy in Riverside
With so much of Bangkok's history to absorb, there won't be much time left for shopping - and there certainly aren't any colossal malls anywhere in sight at the riverside to talk of either. However, there are a few little shopping treats lined up in the form of Thai arts, crafts and antiquities at Rivercity or OP Place next to the famous Mandarin Oriental Hotel.
Prices here are not what one would call a 'steal', but it's worth a visit - even only to marvel at the intricate and exquisite detail of some pieces. For a really local shopping experience, it costs all of 2.5 baht to cross the river from the pier between River City and the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel & Towers.
What you'll find on the other side, tugged in an alley next to the Millennium Hilton Hotel, is as local as it gets; clothing, shoes, bags, CD's, DVD's, fashion accessories, fresh fruit and food. As for the floating markets, don't expect much to splurge out on - the merchandise on offer here are pretty much of the same you can find anywhere else, but with inflated prices.
- Private Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha & Reclining Buddha Morning Tour
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Calypso Cabaret Show
- Thonburi Klongs & Grand Palace Morning Excursion
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Siam Niramit Show
- Sea Life Bangkok Ocean World with Private Roundtrip Transportation
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Dream World Excursion with Roundtrip Transfer
Most Popular in Riverside
All Shopping Places in Riverside
With so much of Bangkok's history to absorb, there won't be much time left for shopping - and there certainly aren't any colossal malls anywhere in sight at the riverside to talk of either. However, there are a few little shopping treats lined up in the form of Thai arts, crafts and antiquities at Rivercity or OP Place next to the famous Mandarin Oriental Hotel. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 17:00-midnight
- Location: Chareonkrung Soi 74-76
- How to get there: The easiest and fastest way to get there is via boat. Take the BTS to Saphan Taksin and jump on the free shuttle at the end of the pier. It only takes ten minutes, and the boat runs until 23:00. Taxis are not recommended as the traffic can be terrible in this area.
Chao Phraya Tower Shopping Arcade
This is basically a place to go and pick up high-quality Thai-inspired products – silk garments, teakwood and home furnishings, art, handbags and antiques. It’s quiet and has a nice atmosphere in which to wander around at your own pace and take in the quality craftsmanship around; even if you’re not there to spend it is equally as nice just to admire the quality and craftsmanship of the products.
- Opening Hours: 10:00-19:00
- Address: 23 Rongnamkhaeng Lane
- Tel: +66 (0) 237 0077
From Siam with love
Beautiful clothes and accessories that take classic Thai design values and reevaluate them with a modern twist. Tailored to perfection, the clothes look more expensive than they really are. Fabrics include silk, fine-cotton and linen in skirts, jackets shirts dresses and trousers. You can also find some really unique silver and bronze statement jewelry here, the sort of things you won’t see many people wearing at home.
- Opening Hours: Mon-Sat 11:00-19:00
- Address: 1328 Charoenkrung Road
- Tel: + 66 (0) 235 4513
Opened at the start of 2015, Tha Maharaj is one of only a handful of shopping malls located in Bangkok’s historic Old City. Walking distance from many of the capital’s most famous sights such as Wat Pho and the Grand Palace, Tha Maharaj also benefits from an idyllic riverside location, with a good lineup of cafes, restaurants and bars taking advantage of the handsome views across the water.
If you’re on a sightseeing trip, Tha Maharaj mall is simple to reach on foot, just off Maharat Road next to the river. The venue also has its very own pier of the same name, so you can easily take the cheap Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00-22:00 daily
- Location: Tha Maharaj, 11/1, Maharaj Rd., Bangkok
- Tel: +66(0)2 024 1393
Although mainly a popular location for those looking to pick up Thai silk, antiques, jewellery, carpets and art, OP Place is also something of a destination in itself. Built in 1908 and constructed in elegant Neoclassical style, this impressive white stone Asian Heritage Shopping Centre, originally known as the Falck & Beidek Store, exudes an atmosphere reminiscent of old Bangkok.
It consists of two storeys with a three-storey tower at each end and wonderfully gabled porches. Vintage flair is added by a manually operated elevator. Not to be missed is the Ashwood Gallery, which features works ranging from 19th Century Burmese alabaster sculptures to Chinese and Japanese prints, and a Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:30 - 18:30
- BTS: Saphan Taksin
- Address: 30/1 Soi Charoen Krung 38 (behind Mandarin Oriental Hotel)
Housed in a historic building complex dating back to Rama V days (1868-1910), this boutique courtyard mall delights shoppers with a selection of concept stores specializing in home décor, fashion accessories, gifts and jewellery design. Contrary to its sister mall, OP Place which offers Asian antiques, paintings and traditional art pieces, OP Garden is all about a contemporary lifestyle – and one that’s essentially Thai. What you find at the stores here are the products of local designers and craftsmen. Besides shopping, it features a modern art gallery as well as two cafés by Mango Tree and Doi Tung, all located in the breezy garden courtyard.
- Opening Hours: 10:30 - 21:30
- Location: Charoenkrung Soi 36
- BTS: Saphan Taksin
- Tel: +66 (0)2 266 0186, +66 (0)2 235 8865
The goods to be found in the Oriental Plaza exude the same quality and lavishness the hotel itself seeks to encapsulate. Situated opposite the hotel's entrance, the plaza is home to a Louis Vuitton store, Lotus de Vere and the Heritage International Limited and is the perfect spot to pick up a treat for a loved one back home. It’s not cheap but its luxury to the max and in this case, you most certainly get what you pay for.
- Opening Hours: 10:00-21:00
- Address: Charoen Krung 38, facing Mandarin Oriental Hotel (by boat pier number one)
River City is a four-storey mall overlooking sweeping views of the Chao Phraya River. It specialises in antiques and collectibles, with monthly on-site and online auctions, although there’s also a good range of fashion and jewellery shops as well as riverside eateries with outdoor dining terraces. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 20:00
- Location: Charoen Krung Soi 30 (next to the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel)
- Tel: +66 (0) 2237 0077-8
- How to get there: Get on the BTS to Saphan Taksin Station. There's a free shuttle boat service to the River City available at Sathorn Pier everyday from 10:00 to 20:00.