What to See in Pratunam
If you can find some free time in between the shopping, or need a break away for variation, Pratunam has a few highlights to include on your itinerary. Just make sure you choose a smog-free day or time in Bangkok to venture up to the 77th observation floor and 84th floor revolving, open-air viewing deck of Baiyoke Sky Hotel for mesmerizing city vistas and great photo opportunities. Also, be sure to visit an antique Thai-style house set in a beautiful garden - Suan Pakkard Palace.
Other than that, keep your eyes peeled for turn-of-the-century shophouses in some of the smaller 'sois' (alleys) - the main market itself dates back more than a hundred years - and several small shrines and spirit houses. For the supersticious Thais, it is vital to ensure that the spirits are appeased, so that trade remains brisk at any given time.
All Attractions in Pratunam
How can you possibly have a floating market on the 75th floor? Despite how unusual it sounds, the Baiyoke Floating Market is actually a novel idea, combining the fun of browsing at a market with the enjoyment of a Thai food buffet. The themed buffet style feels fresh and original and the food is as good as any you will find along the many waterways of Thailand – minus the mosquitoes! Getting there is easy as Baiyoke Sky Hotel is the tallest building in Bangkok and visible from all over the city. The nearest BTS stations are Ratchatewi and Chit Lom but both require further transport or a 20 minute walk. Read More...
- BTS: Ratchathewi, plus taxi (not walking distance)
- Address: 75th Floor, Baiyoke Sky Hotel, 222 Ratchaprarop Road, Ratchathewi, Bangkok
- Tel: +66 (0) 2656 3000
If you can find some free time in between the shopping, or need a break away for variation, Pratunam has a few highlights to include on your itinerary. Just make sure you choose a smog-free day or time in Bangkok to venture up to the 77th observation floor and 84th floor revolving, open-air viewing deck of Baiyoke Sky Hotel for mesmerizing city vistas and great photo opportunities. Also, be sure to visit an antique Thai-style house set in a beautiful garden - Suan Pakkard Palace. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00-22:30 (skywalk and rooftop observatory deck)
- Location: Ratchaprarob Soi 3, Pratunam
- Price Range: THB 300
What to look out for (and what to avoid) at Pantip Plaza, the most famous Bangkok electronics mall. Pantip Plaza is the mother of all IT shops in Thailand and has gained legendary status as the place to find new and used computers and accessories at rock-bottom prices. Occupying a rather featureless building on Petchaburi Road, Pantip Plaza has also gained notoriety because of the widespread practice of selling counterfeit software, DVDs… and more sordid material. The mall itself has certainly seen better days, but like an old auntie that always has lots of candy when you go to visit, Pantip Plaza is still pulling in the punters thanks to unbeatable bargains and cheap technical specialists for things like repairs and upgrades. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 21:00 (every day).
- Location: Petchaburi Road, opposite Pratunam's City Complex
- BTS: Chidlom (but still quite a walk)
- How to get there: From BTS Chidlom, either hire a tuk-tuk/taxi or walk ten minutes down Ratchadamri Road past Central World on your left, over the Saen Saeb canal and then left on Phetburi Road. Walk about two blocks, and Pantip Plaza should be on your left.
Platinum Fashion Mall is like an indoor version of the Chatuchak Weekend Market. It specializes in wholesale fashion clothing and accessories, with four floors of shopping space, packed with some 1,300 shops. Here, haggling is part of the fun, and you’ll save more buying in larger quantities. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00 - 22:00
- Location: Petchburi, Ratchathewi (next to Pantip Plaza)
- BTS: The nearest Skytrain station is Chidlom (but not really walking distance, you wll need a taxi or tuk yuk)
Suan Pakkad Palace is a place to find visions of Thailand you thought long since vanished in Bangkok. Its name means 'cabbage patch', in reference to when the land was nothing more than just that. Today, however, it's a well-tended tropical garden with serene ponds surrounding eight traditional Thai houses, each of which brims to overflowing with fine arts, antiques and oddities belonging to Prince and Princess Chumbhot. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 09:00 - 16:00
- Location: 352-354 Sri Ayudhya Road (five minutes walk from BTS Phaya Thai), nearest area Pratunam
- Tel: +66 (0)2 245 4934