Petchburi is more well-known for its line up of street-side cuisine and budget eateries than gourmet restaurants with trendy interior decor. A busy business area by day, it turns into a seedy nightlife zone after sundown, with a range of massage parlours, karaoke bars and comedy clubs tucked inside the sois (lanes) and lining the main street. Catering to these night owls, most restaurants open late in the evening and, in the case of street stalls, stay open until dawn.
Iata Chinese Restaurant
This 40-year-old institution is known among the ‘in’ crowd as the best Chinese restaurant in Bangkok. It doesn’t bother advertising itself but enjoys a steady stream of loyal fans, particularly older generation Thais of Chinese descent. Expect the Chinese banquet style menu, from cold/hot hors d'oeuvres to Peking duck, beef hot plate, Roasted Goose Feet in Clay Pot and Deep fried pigeon with Chinese wine. A range of rice dishes served in earthen clay pots are also very tasty, and don’t forget to leave some room for desserts, such as the classic crispy thin pancake with Chinese date filling.
- Opening Hours: 16:00 - 02.00 (Mon-Sat), 11:00 - 02.00 (Sun and holidays)
- Location: Opposite RCA, on New Petch Buri Road (near Ital-Thai building)
- Tel: +66 (0)2 718 1730 to 2
- Cuisine: Chinese
This legendary Japanese Teppanyaki restaurant, one of Bangkok’s very first, has moved from its previous location in Siam Square to its present location on Petchburi Road. Decked out in contemporary Japanese style, the restaurant is famous for its mouthwatering Teppanyaki-style steak, whipped up in a flash at the cooking station by skilled chefs. Choose from a selection of imported beef, from Kobe all the way to the USA as well as local beef steak, saba steak and salmon steak. The menu extends to Japanese-style hotpots like sukiyaki and shabu shabu as well as a good range of sashimi and sushi. Private rooms are available, although with additional charges.
- Opening Hours: 11.30-23.00
- Location: 156/21 Petchburi Road (opposite Siam Commerical Bank, Petchburi branch)
- Tel: +66 (0)2 611 1978, +66 (0)2 611 1138, +66 (0)2 216 0143, +66 (0)2 611 1001
- Cuisine: Japanese Teppanyaki
Sushi Ichizu Bangkok
Sushi Ichizu Bangkok is a refined sushi restaurant serving a set menu of Japanese delicacies in a zen-like dining room. A maximum of sixteen diners sit around the chef’s table and are treated to an ‘omakase’ set (meaning chef’s special selection) which spans many courses. The sushi chef is Riku Toda, who learnt his craft in Read More...
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday, two seatings at 17:30 and 22:30 (closed on Monday)
- Location: Sushi Ichizu, Sukhumvit Soi 39, New Petchaburi Rd., Bangkok
- Tel: +66 (0)65 738 9999