Suttangrak Pattaya Seafood Restaurant boldly claims to have the best seafood in Pattaya on the sign by the entrance to the car park and it is a boast that is quite easily believed. It is particularly popular with locals for its great Thai food, low prices and a peaceful seafront location at the quiet end of Jomtien Beach Road.
The Pattaya outlet – which is actually located in Na Jomtien, about 10km south of Central Pattaya – is the second outlet of a small local brand, the flagship restaurant having opened in 1971 in the port town of Laem Chabang, about 15km north of Pattaya. This particular branch has quite a classy look, featuring a large central bar with a selection of draught beers including Hoegaarden and Stella Artois. The dining area around it are open to the cool sea breeze, with palm trees dotted around to provide shade.
In this delightful setting, with great sunset views out into the calm Gulf of Thailand, Suttangrak Pattaya serves up a great selection of local dishes, including some signature variants which prove particularly popular. So proud are the staff of their top dishes, there is a giant billboard showing off the 15 best ones in the car park.
- Tiffany's Cabaret Show With VIP Seating
- Alcazar Cabaret Show with Transfers
- Cartoon Network Amazone Waterpark Thailand
- Ko Samet Island Full-Day Excursion
- Nong Nooch Tropical Garden Half-Day Tour
- Flight of the Gibbon™ Chonburi Zipline Tour
- Koh Larn Coral Island Day Trip with Lunch
- Ripley's Believe It or Not! Museum
- VIP Fast-Track Service: Pattaya U-Tapao Airport (UTP)
- 2-Day Bangkok to Pattaya Cycling Adventure
The number one choice is Galamplee Pat Nampla (fried cabbage – 150 baht), with other favourites including Pla Gao Todt Rad Prik Sam Rot (deep-fried grouper with spicy sweet and sour sauce – 700 baht) and Poo Mah Neung Gratiem (steamed blue crab with garlic – 450 baht).
We tried number ten on the list: Goong Ob Suttangrak (claypot-baked shrimps in the house style – 450 baht). Each of the plentiful supply of shrimp was fresh (as proved by the store room, where you can see them all swimming around in large tanks) and well-prepared and the spicy green dipping sauce was just the right level of hot to add a tang to the flavour without melting your tonsils. Overall, it was a very filling and enjoyable choice.
Despite a relatively remove location, Suttangrak Pattaya is extremely popular with locals, making it busy most evenings with large groups. A small live band sometimes serenades diners with Thai pop hits, giving this local restaurant an almost swanky feel. However, the low prices for an impressive choice of great dishes makes this a top choice even if there is no special occasion.
- Opening Hours: Mon – Thu 12:00 – 24:00, Fri – Sun 12:00 – 01:00
- Location: 99 Moo 1, Jomtien Beach Road, Na Jomtien
- Tel: +66 (0)3 823 2222, +66 (0)85 066 6600
- Cuisine: Thai, Seafood
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/suttangrak-pattaya-211173955583428