WTF Café Bangkok on Sukhumvit 51
A great little bar to escape from the crowds in Thong Lor0
WTF Café and Gallery opened after four friends decided that Bangkok was lacking somewhere to eat, drink and be artistic. Its success is down to the relaxing atmosphere they have created - a lot of good things come from working with people you like. WTF has an innovative cocktail list and some tasty tapas comfort food – two more reasons it has become a firm favourite for both locals and visitors. It is a short five-minute walk from Thong Lor BTS on Sukhumvit soi 51 and a great place for drinks and dinner in an unpretentious setting.
- Private Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha & Reclining Buddha Morning Tour
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Calypso Cabaret Show
- Thonburi Klongs & Grand Palace Morning Excursion
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Siam Niramit Show
- Sea Life Bangkok Ocean World with Private Roundtrip Transportation
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Dream World Excursion with Roundtrip Transfer
WTF Cafe and Gallery
At first glance the downstairs bar is reminiscent of a small local café in Europe. Behind the glass shop front there are half-a-dozen basic wooden tables, a wall in blood red and polished concrete floors. A personal selection of pictures and records are displayed around the room, and if you come back often enough and the owners will tell you the stories behind them. The bar also features printed coasters with a whole different bunch of meanings for ‘WTF’ (apart from the most obvious). On the two floors above lies gallery space hosting unusual art displays changing on a monthly basis.
Despite the five-minute walk from Thong Lor BTS station it’s a world away from the busy Sukhumvit. Around a 100 metres down Soi 51 on the left-hand side, the alleyway has a decorated mural and fairy lights to lead the way at night.
Drinks are a big pull here. If you’ve always been afraid to try Sangsom (a well-known Thai sugar cane rum) it’s worth ordering a Muay Thai Punch – this liquor has never tasted better than when blended with orange and grenadine. For something a little less sweet the Orchard mixes lychee, lemongrass and gin. There is also a selection with bubbles, a La Vie en Rose is rosé prosecco with a good slug of cognac. Beer and wine is on offer too.
The food is tasty, but the tapas portions are small, so it’s worth ordering a few dishes to share. Favourites include the chorizo and chickpea stew and the spinach and feta salad. For those with a sweet tooth try the pan y chocolate, chocolate spread with almonds, sea salt and olive oil on toast. You will never eat shop-bought chocolate spread again.
WTF Cafe and Gallery
- Opening Hours: Restaurant/bar open Tuesday-Sunday 18:00 – 01:00 Gallery open 15:00 – 22:00
- Location: Less than three minutes down Sukhumvit soi 51 on the left-hand side in a small alleyway
- BTS: Thong Lor
- Address: WTF Bangkok, 7 Soi Sukhumvit soi 51
- Tel: +66 (0)2 626 6246
You May Also Like