Whether you’re a complete novice or consider yourself to be the next Tony Hawk on water, wakeboarding in Bangkok is an awesome way to escape the hustle of the city whilst having about as much fun as you can in the capital for less than 500 baht. Taco lake, which is about 40 minutes away from the city centre and near Suvarnabhumi Airport, is the best place to do it.
For those wondering what wakeboarding actually is, just think waterskiing on a snowboard. Usually this water sport involves being towed along by a boat, but at Taco Lake metal cables attached to motors pull you around instead. Most are content with just completing the full circuit, which is about the same distance as a running track, whilst the more experienced boarders use the ramp installation to do jumps and tricks.
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Thonburi Klongs & Grand Palace Morning Excursion
- Floating Markets Cycling & Boat Tour
- Private Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha & Reclining Buddha Morning Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Safari World & Marine Park Full-Day Tour With Buffet Lunch
- Muay Thai Live Performance
First timers need not fear; there is plenty of safety gear (including lifejackets, helmets, and knee pads), and amateurs whose centre of gravity is not their strong point can try the ‘kneeling boards’ which are much easier to use (I still fell off first time). On top of this, the friendly Thais and expats, who have clearly been practising a lot, are always on hand to give you some advice and encouragement. You’ll also notice that there are plenty of kids who have mastered the waves, meaning wakeboarding in Bangkok is also a great family activity.
If the attractive scenery, close proximity to central Bangkok, and prospect of having an adrenalin-fuelled day out is not enough to tempt you, then the prices just might. A whole day of fun on the water will set you back just 500 baht – and that’s with all the standard boards and safety equipment included. Most, however, opt for the two-hour option, which at 300 baht still seems like a bargain.
Taco lake is open every day, but we suggest you arrive around midday on a weekday (remember your sun cream). At the moment, wakeboarding in Bangkok seems to be an activity mostly enjoyed on the weekends, so come on a Saturday or Sunday and you might find the circuit full with regulars; no huge problem, but it just means you might have to queue for a few minutes for your turn.
As well as the water sports fun, the centre also boasts a waterside restaurant which serves cheap and tasty Thai food alongside a selection of cold soft drinks and beers – perfect when you want to sit back and watch some of the action from dry land.
Getting to Taco Lake
Some visitors interested in wakeboarding in Bangkok might be put off by the distance. Few people have actually heard of Taco Lake and hailing a random taxi and asking to go ‘wakeboarding’ will only lead to some puzzled looks. However, if plan out your journey, you can get there in as little as 30 minutes from central Bangkok (usually 45 when there is traffic). Here’s how:
- Take a taxi in the direction of Suvarnabhumi Airport along the Bangna-Trad Highway. Take a U-turn at the ‘K.M 16’ turnoff. Now you will be going in the opposite direction. When you see a Mitsubishi showroom, turn left down ‘Soi Wat Luangpor’ (the way to Bangphiliyai Temple), then follow the bright yellow ‘Wake’ signs (that you’ll see on your right).
- From central Bangkok, take the airport link train to Suvarnabhumi. Then take a taxi to Soi Wat Luangpor and follow the signs.
- Google map-it! Print off or save the location to your phone and then ask your hotel to arrange a taxi or minivan.
If you have any problems, call the friendly folks at Taco Lake directly and ask your hotel or taxi driver to get more precise instructions.
Taco Lake Wakeboarding
- Opening Hours: Mon-Friday: Midday – 20:00
Saturday, Sunday, Public Holidays: 10:00 – 20:00
- Address: 75/1 Km13 Bangna-trad Rd., Moo 12, Bangplee Bangplee-yai, Samut Prakan 10540
- Tel: +66 2 316 7809
- Price Range: 400 baht (daily rate)