Toro Bangkok at 72 Courtyard
Tapas Bar in Thonglor, Originally from US0
Toro is a fusion tapas bar that is hugely popular in its native Boston and New York. The minimalist space of exposed beams and vintage window frames is very much Manhattan chic, with funky tunes, signature cocktails and an open kitchen on the second floor ensuring Toro Bangkok is about more than the fantastic food. Chef Zack came directly from the original Toro branch, and it shows in the quality of dishes.
The menu offers plenty of recognisable Spanish classics, but the Toro concept has some fancy tapas bites on the menu too, borrowing culinary tricks from Asia and plating techniques from fine dining restaurants. You are free to mix and match but our advice is don’t miss for the classic Barcelona-inspired tapas options like croquettas de baclao (chunky fish croquettes in a crispy and light batter for 420 baht), gambas al ajillo (classic garlic prawns with the neat addition of tamarind for 350 baht), or even the paella served for 790 baht for a half or 1,500 baht for the whole, which comes packed with clams, prawns and thick cut chorizo.Read More
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Thonburi Klongs & Grand Palace Morning Excursion
- Floating Markets Cycling & Boat Tour
- Private Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha & Reclining Buddha Morning Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Safari World & Marine Park Full-Day Tour With Buffet Lunch
- Muay Thai Live Performance
At the fancy end of the menu, slices of hamachi (yellowtail) sashimi artfully laid out with pork skin rinds in bitesize portions is a perfect representation, while the single spoon serving of sea urchin, caviar and quail egg (490 baht), although tasty, seems somewhat misplaced to us.
Toro Bangkok does call itself a bar, not a restaurant, and that comes across in the vibe of the place and the drinks menu. There are eight signature cocktails, and the ones we tried really play with the senses, especially the excellent South Pine creation, with is a Fillers pine gin and branca menthe liquor that gives you the sensation of a cool arctic forest from taste and smell. The Messi Mule is a tea infused vodka with an intense ginger bite, lime and soda – a fiery take on a gin gimlet. Cocktails are around 350 baht each.
Several cava also make an appearance with one by-the-glass option, a Bocchoris Cava Brut NV, Penedes for 320 baht per glass or 1,500 baht for the bottle. The liquor offerings are all top-end labels, gin fans especially well catered for with seven different gins to try and all top end brands.
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday: 18:00 – 24:00 (closed on Mondays)
- Location: 72 Courtyard, 72 Thonglor (between Soi 16 and 18)
- Tel: +66 (0)2 392 7790
- Website: http://www.facebook.com/torobangkok