Tha Maharaj Mall is one of only a handful of shopping destinations in Bangkok’s historic Old City. Walking distance from many of the capital’s most famous sights such as Wat Pho and the Grand Palace, Tha Maharaj also benefits from an idyllic riverside location, with a good lineup of cafes, restaurants and bars taking advantage of the handsome views across the water.
Tha Maharaj has its very own pier, so arriving by boat is the most popular way to reach the mall, although if you’re on a sightseeing trip, Tha Maharaj mall is simple to reach on foot around 10 minutes away from The Grand Palace.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Vertigo & Moon Bar Rooftop Dining
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruise
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Half-Day Tour
Shopping and dining at The Maharaj Mall
In terms of shopping, the options at this ‘mall’ are surprisingly limited with only a few fashion, beauty and antique boutiques. The 2nd floor does have a couple of interesting units filled with amulet dealers who have a wide range of styles – from tacky souvenirs to revered and hard-to-find originals.
The real reason to pay The Maharaj a visit is to eat, with over 20 restaurants and cafes in total. These include dining spots serving from pizzas, Japanese cuisines, northeastern Thai delights, hotpot, and there’s even a Starbucks.
Apart from the breezy riverside dining, what most really like about Tha Maharaj is its elegant pavilion-style architecture, which blends in well with the ageing shophouses and rich cultural heritage of the surrounding area, rather than being an eyesore like some of Bangkok’s other community malls.
Special events are held around the main riverside concourse are of the mall on a semi-regular basis; these have included live music gigs, farmers markets, night ‘bike’ markets and food festivals.
Tha Maharaj Mall
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am to 10pm
- Location: 11/1 Maharaj Rd, Borom Maha Ratchawang, Phra Nakhon, Bangkok 10200, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)2 024 1393