Tha Maharaj is one of only a handful of shopping malls located in Bangkok’s historic Old City. Walking distance from many of the capital’s most famous sights such as Wat Pho and the Grand Palace, Tha Maharaj also benefits from an idyllic riverside location, with a good lineup of cafes, restaurants and bars taking advantage of the handsome views across the water.
Tha Maharaj has
In terms of shopping, the options at this ‘mall’ are surprising limited with only a few fashion, beauty and antique boutiques. The second floor does have a couple of interesting units filled with amulet dealers who have a wide range of styles – from tacky souvenirs to revered and hard-to-find originals. The real reason to pay Tha Maharaj a visit is to eat, with over 20 restaurants and cafes in total. These include Peppina (pizza), Ramen Boy (Japanese), Zaab Eli (northeastern Thai), Omori Shabu (hotpot), Savoey (Thai) and a Starbucks.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Vertigo & Moon Bar Rooftop Dining
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruise
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Half-Day Tour
For those in the mood to get active, Tha Maharaj is home to the excellent ‘Muay Thai Lab’ and there’s also a cool twice-weekly yoga session held on the roof (Tues/Weds at 18:30).
Apart from the breezy riverside dining, what we really like about Tha Maharaj is its elegant pavilion-styled architecture, which blends in well with the aging shophouses and rich cultural heritage of the surrounding area, rather than being an eyesore like some of Bangkok’s other community malls.
Special events are held around the main riverside concourse are of the mall on a semi-regular basis; these have included live music gigs, farmers markets, night ‘bike’ markets and food festivals. Stay up-to-date with the ongoing events and promotions at facebook.com/ThaMaharaj.
Tha Maharaj Mall
- Opening Hours: 10:00-22:00 daily
- Location: Tha Maharaj, 11/1, Maharaj Rd., Bangkok
- Tel: +66(0)2 024 1393