The Seafood Market and Restaurant Bangkok
Famous Restaurant with the Motto “If it swims we have it”0
The Seafood Market and Restaurant in Bangkok, with its famous slogan “If it swims we have it”, is a well-known, long running and absolutely enormous restaurant on Sukhumvit Soi 24. With around 50 chefs in their kitchen, seating available for up to 1,500 guests and a fun ‘choose your own produce’ dining concept, this really is one unique dining experience.
You can find The Seafood Market and Restaurant a short walk from Phrom Phong BTS Station or Queen Sirikit MRT – right in the centre of Bangkok - just two minutes walk from The Emporium Shopping Mall.Read More
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Thonburi Klongs & Grand Palace Morning Excursion
- Floating Markets Cycling & Boat Tour
- Private Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha & Reclining Buddha Morning Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Safari World & Marine Park Full-Day Tour With Buffet Lunch
- Muay Thai Live Performance
So, what makes the dining experience at The Seafood Market and Restaurant so unique? Let us guide you through the several steps:
1) Instead of a formal menu, diners at The Seafood Restaurant and Market are asked to browse the fresh tanks and ice trays, selecting the seafood they would like for their meal.
2) Next, head over to the supermarket-style checkout where your items are weighed and then paid for. You are free to choose how you would like your food prepared, and there is a ‘recommended cooking menu’ to help; they specialise in Chinese, Arabic, Mediterranean and Thai styles.
3) Say goodbye to your food as it heads over to the huge kitchen to be prepared by the 50 or so chefs who can boil, fry, grill, steam and bake your ingredients anyway you want (strictly with no MSG).
4) Wait a few minutes, and then you’ll be presented with your meal in all its glory!
5) Afterwards, there’s an additional charge for your drinks and the service.
Whilst their slogan “If it swims we have it” should be taken with a pinch of salt, The Seafood Market and Restaurant Bangkok do have an impressive amount of fresh seafood.
Highlights on the fish front include their imported snow fish from Antarctica, red snapper, halibut, grouper and cuttle fish (all around 400-900 baht per kilo); dead or living lobsters from America and Phuket (around 3,500 baht per kilo); shrimps such as fresh water, tiger, and king varieties (1,000-2,000 baht per kilo); mud crabs and live blue crabs (around 2,500 per kilo) and other treats include their huge live oysters, mussels, scallops, clams, cockles and squid.
When it came to ordering, we put our faith in the recommendations of the waiters, and we weren’t disappointed. The cold lobster salad was easy to eat with the meat being pulled away from the shell - totally delicious. A messier, but equally tasty dish was the cracked crab curry (boo pad pong garee), which came with a thick and creamy curry sauce in and around the whole crab that is cracked and stylishly presented on the plate.
The Antarctic snow fish steamed with herbs and soy sauce was simply prepared, yet utterly sublime with its subtle flavours and melt in the mouth texture. We also tried some Thai classics such as their baby clams with chilli sauce and the signature ‘poh tak’ seafood soup (a less spicy and sour soup similar to tom yam).
This almost canteen-like restaurant also has a separate wine and spirit shop, sushi bar, fresh fruit and vegetables section, outside garden, ball room, and numerous VIP rooms upstairs that can seat between 10 and 40 people, (500-1,500 baht for the room and your own private wait staff).
The Seafood Market and Restaurant really is like no other place we’ve eaten at in Bangkok. The sheer size of the place and the unique buy-before-you-eat style all make this a particularly fun and memorable dining experience. The array of fresh local and imported produce also proves that you don’t have to go all the way to the beach to find exotic fresh seafood. It’s all available in Bangkok!
The Seafood Market and Restaurant Bangkok
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Opening Hours: 11:30-23:30 Daily
- Location: 89 Soi Sukhumvit 24, Bangkok (Turn left at the ‘If it swims we have it” neon sign)
- Tel: +66 2 261 2072