The Bangkok Science Museum and Planetarium in Sukhumvit is an interactive museum and planetarium featuring activities, exhibits, models, multimedia presentations and real objects. Built to educate the youth and general public about science and astronomy, The Science Museum and Planetarium features some permanent exhibitions in the Science and Technology Building, the Underwater World Building, and exhibition of Sports Science. Exhibitions include the world of energy, robot technology, the human body and pre-history.
It can’t really compare to the best science museums in Europe but it’s still interesting for a families looking for an informative and fun activity. Plus, it’s easy to reach, right next to Ekkamai BTS Skytrain Station. Admission costs 30 Baht per adult and 20 Baht per child/student. It's also important to be aware that the signage can be poor – which can mean the buildings are difficult to find.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Vertigo & Moon Bar Rooftop Dining
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruise
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Half-Day Tour
Many of the exhibits feature modern media and some include tests and experiments, with specific activity days available for students and the general public. Highlights include an interactive pirate ship, play supermarket and the world of insects, which are most popular with young children.
The semi-dome planetarium is probably the most popular permanent fixture at Bangkok Science Museum. Opened in 1964, the large planetarium is the oldest in Thailand and since its revamp in 2016 features a changing programme as well as 360-degree visuals, an in-built fish-eye lens and surround sound. English language shows take place every Tuesday at 10:00 and costs an additional 30 baht per child and 50 baht per adult.
Bangkok Science Museum and Planetarium
- Opening Hours: Tuesday – Sunday: 09:00 – 16:30 (closed on Mondays)
- Location: 928 Sukhumvit Rd, Ekkamai
- Tel: +66 2 392 1773