Sala Chalermkrung Khon Theatre Bangkok
Theatre in Bangkok’s Chinatown0
Sala Chalermkrung is a legendary theatre in the heart of Bangkok that hosts elaborate performances of the traditional Thai masked danced, Khon, based on the Ramayana Epic.
Established in 1933, Sala Chalermkrung was originally a cinema until it became the home of classical Thai dance that it is today and one of the oldest theatres in Thailand. Traditionally, Khon would only be performed within the royal court of Thailand with fine performances and lavish costumes, but today anyone can watch the performance at Sala Chalermkrung, located on the edge of Bangkok’s Chinatown.Read More
- Chao Phraya River Cruise with Dinner
- Half-Day Cooking Lesson at Blue Elephant Cooking School
- Siam Niramit Show
- Calypso Cabaret Show
- Temples & City Tour
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Temple Tour
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Siam Niramit Show at the Grand Theatre with Dinner & Roundtrip Transfer
- Safari World Tour with Roundtrip Transfer
- Golden Buddha, Reclining Buddha, Marble Temple & Gems Gallery Tour
The show at Sala Chalermkrung features the same extravagant costumes and tells the centuries-old stories of the life of Hanuman and other tales from Thailand's ancient culture through the medium of dance and music. The theatre itself, which is located in the historic part of the city, has a classical charm to it with old-fashioned décor, old photos on the walls and original Art Deco features.
Tickets start at 800 Baht and can reach 1,200 Baht for premium seats. The show is performed in Thai but there are English subtitles and it is one of the few attractions in Bangkok that is not aimed at tourists. If you are lucky you may also be able to get a photograph with the performers after the show. Shows are on Thursday and Friday only so you should try to book tickets ahead of time to ensure you have good seats.
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Opening Hours: Thu and Fri only at 19:30
- Address: 66 Chalermkrung Road, Sala Chalermkrung, Chinatown
- Tel: +66 (0)2 222 0434