The new Rot Fai Market in the Ratchada area of Bangkok is bringing the same convivial night bazaar feel, antiques curios, and street food snacks and treats from its original location, into an area of the city that is much easier to access thanks to the nearby Cultural Centre MRT Underground Station.
Although the Srinakarin branch is much larger, it is also way out in the suburbs of Bangkok, making it challenging for people who find themselves on the other side of the city. This new Train Market is more central and compact, meaning it’s easier to pop in for a spot of browsing anytime from 18:00 to 24:00, Thursday to Sunday.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Vertigo & Moon Bar Rooftop Dining
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruise
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Half-Day Tour
The market is split into long avenues with antiques, secondhand toys, and kitsch curios found in the central few avenues. On the periphery, there is a combination of more general market type clothes, shoes, handbags, and plenty of snack stalls. Up towards the back end of the market are a row of bars, with VW Vans pumping out a mixture of Thai and western pop tunes, and adorned with fairy lights. Everyone is very friendly and conversation flows easily between tables.
As in all markets in Bangkok, at the new Rot Fai Market Ratchada bargaining is expected as there is no set price for anything. That being said, as this market is so popular with Thai people prices are lower here than you might find in Chatuchak Market in the north of Bangkok (although genuine antiques and one-off vintage items are rarely cheap).
Ultimately, the original Rot Fai is still our favourite due mainly to its huge plot of land and different sections, but we find ourselves going more to the new Train Market because it is so convenient and still retains the same arty vibe.
It is easy to find Rot Fai Ratchada as it is located directly behind Cultural Centre MRT Underground Station. If you are taking a taxi, be sure to stress you want to go to Ratchada (not the Srinakarin version).
The New Rot Fai Market Ratchada
- Opening Hours: 17:00-24:00 (Thursday-Sunday)
- Location: Ratcadaphisek Road (close to Esplanade Shopping Mall)
- MRT: National Cultural Centre
- Tel: +66 (0)92 713 5599