Nihonmachi – meaning “Japanese Town” – is a large Japanese community mall on Sukhumvit 26. It’s home to over a dozen restaurants, most of which are as close as you’ll get to a Japanese dining street in central Bangkok.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Vertigo & Moon Bar Rooftop Dining
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruise
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Half-Day Tour
Highlights of Nihonmachi in Bangkok
Restaurants in Nihonmachi resemble Japan’s izakaya (casual pub), where you dine on the floor or around tables made of bottle crates. Most are decorated with vintage toys and posters, tiled roofs above the kitchen counter, traditional flags with Kanji characters, and red paper lanterns. Menus are often displayed in front of each shop, showcasing dishes, snacks, appetisers, cocktails and the speciality of each shop.
Nagiya can get quite crowded on weekends, so it’s a good idea to come early or prepare for a queue if you come for dinner. You can find normal tables on the ground floor, while the second floor has floor seating arrangements typical of a traditional Japanese restaurant.
Nirai Kanai serves classic Okinawa dishes Staff wear the traditional yukata, welcoming you with irashaimase (“welcome to the store” in Japanese) in a toned-down fashion. Food options include skewers and snacks typical of an izakaya, with plenty of sushi and Okinawa dishes such as vegetable pizza, bitter gourd salad, and seaweed caviar salad.
Good to know about Nihonmachi in Bangkok
Nihonmachi in Bangkok is just behind K-Village on Soi Sukhumvit 28. The easiest way to get there is by taking the BTS Skytrain to the Phrom Phong Station. From there, you can take a motorcycle taxi or walk for 20 minutes to the Japanese community mall
Nihonmachi in Bangkok
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10.30am to 10pm
- Location: 10 Soi Sukhumvit 28, Khlong Tan, Khlong Toei, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
- BTS: Phrom Phong
- Tel: +66 (0)2 258 4959