Maeklong Railway Market is a traditional Thai market selling fresh vegetables, food and fruit. What makes the market special is that it occupies part of a train line. A few times a day, there’s a train running directly through the market. A few minutes before the train comes, vendors lower their umbrellas and move some of their produce away from the train tracks.
Some are left on the ground, with the train passing right over them. Amazingly, nothing gets damaged or broken, and as soon as the train passes, the vendors move their goods back onto the tracks and continue as normal (until the next train arrives).
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Vertigo & Moon Bar Rooftop Dining
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruise
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Half-Day Tour
Good to know about Maeklong Railway Market
The Maeklong Railway Market (talad rom hub in Thai) is about 1 hour southwest of downtown Bangkok. You can get by taking a train from Bangkok's Wongwian Yai Station at 6.45am. The Maeklong Railway Line will take you straight through the market. You can disembark at the last station and walk along the train lines for about 5 minutes to reach the local market.
If you hear the train horn, step aside or into the nearest shop to get your camera ready. While the train moves through the market at a slow pace, it’s still dangerous so be aware of your surroundings.
Maeklong Railway Market
- Opening Hours: Daily from 4am to 5pm
- Location: Kasem Sukhum Alley, Mae Klong, Samut Songkhram, 75000, Thailand