Maeklong Railway Market is a traditional Thai market selling fresh vegetables, food and fruit. What makes it special is that the market is located on a train line where, a few times a day, the train runs directly through the market. When the train comes, vendors lower their umbrellas and move some of their produce further back off the train tracks. Some of the vegetables are laying on the ground and the train goes right over them. Amazingly, nothing is damaged or broken, and as soon as the train passes, vendors continue as normal.
The Maeklong Railway Market (talad rom hub in Thai) is about an hour southwest of Bangkok city, and you can get there either by taxi or train. The 6:45 train from Bangkok's Wongwian Yai Station on on the Maeklong Railway Line will take you straight through the market and you can get off at the last station and walk back. Visitors to the Maeklong Railway Market walk along the train lines, but if you hear the train horn then step into the nearest shop and get your camera ready. Although the train moves through the market slowly, it can be dangerous if tourists are on the railway lines.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Vertigo & Moon Bar Rooftop Dining
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruise
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Half-Day Tour
Maeklong Railway Market
- Opening Hours: 06:00 -17:00 daily
- Location: Kasem Sukhum Alley, Mae Klong, Samut Songkhram, 75000