La Monita Taqueria Bangkok
Mexican Restaurant in Ploenchit0
La Monita Mexican restaurant has been an expat favourite in Bangkok practically since it first opened its doors in 2009. Tasty food, cheap-ish prices and friendly service are a winning formula in Ploenchit business district of downtown Bangkok and ensure a packed dining room most nights of the week.
Located down a small soi directly beneath Ploenchit BTS Skytrain Station, the whole block leading up to La Monita Bangkok has a naff ‘80s office vibe, but once inside the restaurant, the simply styled and brightly painted shophouse feels authentic – just like a neighbourhood taqueria in Mexico or California. They have kept it simple and forgone the sombreros and cactus (for the most part), just bright picnic tables and stools. It’s a bit rough and ready, but it works.
- Private Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha & Reclining Buddha Morning Tour
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Calypso Cabaret Show
- Thonburi Klongs & Grand Palace Morning Excursion
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Siam Niramit Show
- Sea Life Bangkok Ocean World with Private Roundtrip Transportation
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Dream World Excursion with Roundtrip Transfer
The food divides opinion somewhat at La Monita Taqueria, usually due to Americans who expect huge, stateside portions. The sizes of dishes here are somewhat on the small size, although it’s plenty for most. When it comes to the taste, everyone agrees this among the best Mexican restaurants in Bangkok.
The burritos are chunky and come packed with ingredients for a decent lunch or add a sizeable portion of refried beans and corn chips make it a full meal. However, our go-to dish at La Monita is the soft tacos which come in a choice of seven fillings, including chicken, carnitas pork, beef and fish. You are free to choose your own combination of three for 215-270 baht. The self-serve salsa and dips counter is there for you to help yourself, so you can pile up on sweet pineapple salsa or a powerful habanero chilli. Even the guacamole is a cut above most Mexican restaurants in Bangkok.
This is a loud and boisterous restaurant (no doubt fuelled by pitchers of Margarita) so don’t expect a candlelit supper, but for some fun and casual dining we always enjoy dinner at La Monita Taqueria.
La Monita Taqueria
- Opening Hours: 11:30 – 23:00
- Location: 888/25-26 Ploenchit Road (look for an alley next to Mahatun Plaza)
- BTS: Ploenchit
- Tel: +66 (0)2 650 9581
You May Also Like