J Bar & Cafe Bangkok is a classic neighbourhood bar on Sukhumvit Road, which is a rarity for the city – but it shouldn’t be. Foreigners and Thais mix freely, drinks are cheap and the menu is concise but offers something tasty whether you are after Thai and western food.
A central concept at J Bar & Cafe is affordable prices, and drinks prices are kept purposely low: a large bottle of Leo or Singha starts at 90 baht, Somersby cider from 100 baht and shots from 140 baht. From the food menu, popular dishes include the J Bar burger at 200 baht, spaghetti carbonara for 190 baht, and pad krapow moo (minced pork with basil on rice) for 100 baht. If you are looking for a snack while drinking, you should definitely try the kor moo yang (grilled pork neck) with ‘jim jaew’ dipping sauce. Everything is made in house and it tells in the fresh taste. The bar also allows you to bring in Japanese food or pizza from the neighbouring restaurants if you fancy something different, which is a testament to the easy-going nature of the owners.
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Thonburi Klongs & Grand Palace Morning Excursion
- Floating Markets Cycling & Boat Tour
- Private Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha & Reclining Buddha Morning Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Safari World & Marine Park Full-Day Tour With Buffet Lunch
- Muay Thai Live Performance
The open-air but under-cover space is surrounded by recently built condos and generations old shophouses, and everyone who enters is invited to sit down at the bar and join in the conversation. Located on Sukhumvit Road, a couple of minutes’ walk from Prakanong BTS Skytrain Station, this is the latest area to be preyed on by new businesses as the neighbouring districts of Thonglor and Ekkamai have already seen their boom of gentrification. This western-style bar is the latest evidence of the changing nature of the neighbourhood.
J Bar Bangkok shows football on the big-screen on weekends but it’s never scheduled – whoever expresses an interest in a particular game will get to watch their team play. It’s not the kind of bar where you will dance the night away, but it is certainly the place to come to meet a group of friends or even just pull up a stool at the bar and chat away over a few cold beers.
J Bar & Cafe Bangkok
- Opening Hours: 17:00-01:00
- Address: J Bar Bangkok, Soi Sukhumvit Plus 1/2, Sukhumvit Road, Prakanong
- Tel: +66 (0)95 943 4949