El Mercado Bangkok is not only a fantastic restaurant, it's also a grocery, bakery and winery, selling exceptional food and dishes that are hard to find in Bangkok. This family-run place is definitely a favourite haunt of the European expat crowd in Bangkok, but judging by the crowds who pack the terrace and dining room these days, it’s not fair to call it a hidden gem any longer.
The El Mercado restaurant and shop is all about fresh, seasonal ingredients and so the menu is constantly changing and instead of fixed can only be found written on the board. The chefs create the daily menu based on what is in season and fresh that day – so you will always be surprised by the dishes – and follow themes of “From the Sea”, “From the Farm” and “From the Earth”. Dishes are usually reasonably priced, as is the excellent wine list.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Vertigo & Moon Bar Rooftop Dining
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruise
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Half-Day Tour
While the ingredients are high-end, the restaurant itself is very informal. Set in a French Brasserie-style renovated house, the dining room includes a delightful patio and promotes a laidback atmosphere. On weekends, you’ll find the outdoor section is packed with families and friends casually enjoying handmade pasta dishes, moules-frites, fresh oysters (starting from 50 baht per oyster they are some of the cheapest in Bangkok) and a glass of wine.
You can also buy unique groceries from El Mercado Bangkok, including cheeses, wine, bread, fish and meat from around the world, so if you like something you have eaten at the El Mercado restaurant then you can take the ingredients home with you and make it yourself.
- Opening Hours: Tuesday – Saturday: 09:30 – 22:00, Sunday (Closed on Mondays)
- Location: 490 Soi Phai Singto (just off Sukhumvit Soi 16), Asoke
- Tel: +66 2 258 1385