The Comedy Club Bangkok is the first dedicated English language comedy venue in the city, which is a reason to cheer for fans and performers of standup, ‘improv’ and other forms of live comedy. Currently, performances are scheduled for Friday nights only, but the intention is to grow naturally while fostering a community of standup comedy fans as well as nurturing would-be performers.
The Bangkok Comedy Club is located on the third floor above The Royal Oak pub on Sukhumvit Soi 33/1, affectionately known as ‘Pub Street’, which is less than one minute walk away from Phrom Phong BTS Skytrain.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Vertigo & Moon Bar Rooftop Dining
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruise
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Half-Day Tour
Chris Wegoda and Drew McCreadie, the two guys behind The Comedy Club Bangkok, are both experienced performers themselves, honing their skills over many years of performances in several countries, cracking jokes with some household names such as Ryan Stiles of Who’s Line Is It Anyway fame.
Along with traditional bills of stand up comedians, there is improvised comedy (when someone will be given a scenario or prop – perhaps a hula hoop – and told to make us laugh), game shows, and an international act taking to the stage roughly once a month. Prices start from around 250 baht and up.
There will also be workshops and training sessions taking place for anyone who would like to learn about this most nerve-racking of skills, and then a permanent home to show what you’ve got. It’s clear this is a work of passion for the team at The Comedy Club Bangkok, who have tasked themselves with trailblazing a path for other comedians and performers to follow.
While Bangkok is famed for its nightlife and after dark pursuits, standup comedy has struggled to find a footing here with comedy nights dotted in odd spots around the city. Let’s hope The Comedy Club Bangkok can provide a permanent base for live performance comedy, starting in September 2014.
The Comedy Club Bangkok
- Opening Hours: Friday night only, from 19:30
- BTS: Phrom Phong
- Address: 3rd floor above The Royal Oak, Sukhumvit Soi 33/1
- Tel: +66 (0) 2662 1650
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/ComedyClubBangkok/
- Price Range: 250 baht and up