Getting a tattoo in Bangkok often ranks high up on the whole Southeast Asian ‘gap year’ bucket list of things to do… or get done. But when taking that trip of a lifetime, the last thing you want to bring home is botched-design permanently inked into your skin, or even worse, a disease transmitted through a dirty needle.
So, to save you (some) of the pain of getting inked-up in the capital, we’ve handpicked 5 of the best tattoo parlours in Bangkok. These are all studios that have earned a reputation over time, consistently delivering a high standard of service, cleanliness and customer satisfaction. Use this guide as a starting point then go to visit any tattoo studios that you like the sound of, have a look around, and chat with the artists in person about your exact specifications.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Vertigo & Moon Bar Rooftop Dining
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruise
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Half-Day Tour
Common Ground Tattoo
Common Ground Tattoo is a vintage shophouse-turned-tattoo studio run by a group of international tattoo artists, with each one specialising in a different style of design. Standard black outlines are flawless, while the team’s talent really shines when it comes to the more intricate designs, such as gothic creatures and punk logos (all at the same price).
A highlight of Common Ground Tattoo is the monthly visits of renowned tattoo artists from around the world. A one-hour session costs a flat rate of about 3,000 baht.
- Opening Hours: Daily from midday to 10pm
- Location: 300 Rimklongsatorn Rd, Bang Rak, Bangkok 10500, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)2 073 9161
BKK Inc Tattoo Studio
BKK Inc Tattoo Studio is a cosy shophouse just off Khao San, an area flooded with dozens of tattoo studios of varying reputation. The first sign of reassurance here is that BKK Inc was the first-ever tattoo parlour in Bangkok to receive certification from the Paris Tattoo Convention.
They also have internationally trained artists who specialise in niche areas of their field; ‘Banky’ is your man for retro designs; ‘Ball’ specialises in portraits, and ‘Kong’ impresses with his signature Asian-inspired characters and artwork. Prices start at around 1,000 baht and vary on design and intricacy.
- Opening Hours: Daily from midday to midnight
- Location: 137 Thanon Tanao, Wat Bowon Niwet, Phra Nakhon, Bangkok 10200, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)2 629 2475
Mimp Tattoo Studio
This sleek and spacious studio can be found at RCA, one of the most popular nightlife streets in the whole of Bangkok. The main man in charge is ‘Mimp’, who specialises in a wide range of Thai and Japanese designs and has won a long list of tattoo awards throughout his 10-year career.
Find Mimp Tattoo at Block C at Royal City Avenue (parking available). Prices start from around 1,500 baht.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 10am to 10pm
- Location: 21/64 Block C, Soi Soonvijai Rama 9, Bangkapi, Bangkok 10310, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)95 949 1778
Wat Bang Phra (Sak Yant Tattoos)
Wat Bang Phra temple in Nakhon Pathom is probably the most famous place to get inked-up near Bangkok. Around 50 km west of the capital, the temple specialises in Sak Yant tattoos which are all given by the monks living at the temple.
This iconic tattoo, made world-famous by Angelina Jolie, features Buddhist scriptures written in ancient Sanskrit and monks use a handmade, 18-inch needle that’s split at the end to create 2 dots with each stab. Tattoos at Wat Bang Phra are carried out daily (available for all) and they also hold a spectacular festival every year in March, complete with parades, chanting and mass-inking sessions.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am to 10pm
- Location: Wat Bang Phra Temple, Nakhon Chai Si, Nakhon Pathom 73120, Thailand
Tattoo O’d Studio
Tattoo O’d Studio is one of the best-known and well-trusted tattoo studios in the fashionable Thonglor area. This tiny 2-floor shophouse just holds 2 clients at a time – so it’s best to book ahead. Local tattoo artists, ‘Snot’ and ‘Bank’, specialise in tribal patterns, lettering, black outlines and more intricate logos and murals.
Tattoo O’d Studio have also been known to welcome an international tattoo artist as a guest from time to time. Tattoo O’d is located near Thonglo BTS on Sukhumvit 53, with prices starting from 2,000 baht.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 11am to 9pm
- Location: 2/2 Sukhumvit 53, Khlong Tan, Watthana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)81 916 7802
ALL DAY Tattoo Bangkok
Conveniently close to EmQuarter Shopping Mall, ALL DAY Tattoo features very talented English-speaking artists who make it their mission to ensure that you get exactly what you want in a tattoo.
They're able to create a great range of art styles – from realistic to tribal to Japanese art and more – and they use very safe inks in a sterile environment for absolute safety.
- Opening Hours: Daily from midday to 8pm
- Location: 710/4 Sukhumvit Road, Phrom Pong, Bangkok 10110
- Tel: +66 (0)98 381 4364