Artbox Bangkok is a cool new pop-up market with a difference: the stalls (not all of them) are housed in giant metal shipping containers which can be moved around the city. Previous locations include Queen Sirikit MRT Station, Makkasan MRT Station and Chatuchak. To find where Art Box Bangkok is heading to next, check their Facebook page.
Something else that makes Artbox all the more appealing is that you won’t find all the usual tacky tourist souvenirs such as on Sukhumvit, Silom and throughout Chattuchak. The stuff here is still cheap, but there is more of a focus on local designers, vintage fashion, handmade accessories, funky gadgets and hip home décor items. Not a carved wooden frog or Chang vest in sight. Throw in a few bars, a live music stage and dozens of food vendors, and you have yourself one of Bangkok’s coolest new night markets.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Vertigo & Moon Bar Rooftop Dining
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruise
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Half-Day Tour
If shopping is not your thing, then don’t worry. Artbox Bangkok provides a spacious outside garden area complete with benches to sit on to watch the live band. You can order from any one of the food trucks around the outside (lots of gourmet-style burgers, seafood sets and hot dogs to be had) and there’s normally plenty of beer and cocktails available too.
Artbox’s ‘pop-up’ status means that it can come and go with little warning in advance. It originally started as a one-off event, occupying a huge space next to Makkasan Station. Now it’s moved on to Queen Sirikit Station (Exit 2) held on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays starting in the late afternoon and winding down around midnight.
The best way of staying up-to-date with Artbox Bangkok is to follow their Facebook page, as this is where all the events - which they call ‘episodes’ - are promoted.
Find them at facebook.com/Artboxthailand.
- Opening Hours: Fri-Sun: Late afternoon till midnight
- Location: Queen Sirikit Station (Exit 2)
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/Artboxthailand