Agalico Tea Room Bangkok
Bangkok's secret sanctuary for tea and cake in Thong Lor0
Agalico is now permanently closed
Agalico Tea Room and Garden is located in an unassuming building on the right-hand side of Sukhumvit Soi 51, only 100 metres from the busy road and five minutes’ walk from Thong Lor BTS. It is masterminded by interior designer M.L. Poomchai Chumbala, whose aim is to create a quiet English Garden and cafe in which to serve tea and cake. Open Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 till 18:00 it is the perfect place to get away from the busy city and to enjoy some light refreshments.Read More
- Chao Phraya River Cruise with Dinner
- Half-Day Cooking Lesson at Blue Elephant Cooking School
- Siam Niramit Show
- Calypso Cabaret Show
- Temples & City Tour
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Temple Tour
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Siam Niramit Show at the Grand Theatre with Dinner & Roundtrip Transfer
- Safari World Tour with Roundtrip Transfer
- Golden Buddha, Reclining Buddha, Marble Temple & Gems Gallery Tour
There is not a huge selection on offer, but what they do serve is delicious. The cakes, scones and quiches are freshly made daily and cost around 150 baht. There is a large selection of hot and iced teas and it's worth going up to the counter to have a look to find one that suits your mood; they even have their own Agalico blends. On our last visit we had an amazing slice of chocolate truffle cake with a black peach tea from Fortnum and Mason. It's worth getting there early to experience the full range, as favourites sell out fast.
As soon as you walk through the double doors into Agalico tea room you are struck by the light and airy feel of the space. Leaving behind grubby Sukhumvit you enter a clean crisp white world with wicker chairs and large comfortable armchairs and sofas. An exquisite chandelier hangs from the ceiling and you get a glimpse of the magnificent garden through the floor-to-ceiling windows. The outside space is just as attractive, with chairs and benches dotted around a courtyard fountain. At the end of the garden, beyond the Gazebo, a trellis of wild flowers covers the wall. You couldn’t feel more like in a classic English novel if you tried.
The biggest attraction of the tea room is its complete contrast with outside world. It is nice to have a rest from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok, and to lounge on one of the chairs with a pot of tea or sitting in the manicured garden with a good book. It can get busy on the weekend so it's worth booking ahead. For large groups you can even reserve the Gazebo, a favourite meeting place for the high society ladies of the city.
Rate This Place: ( votes)
- Opening Hours: Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 - 18:00
- Location: 20 Boonjirathorn Building, Sukhumvit Soi 51
- BTS: Thong Lor
- Address: Go in through the driveway and it’s the double doors on the left.
- Tel: 0-26625857
- Website: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Agalico/166586953364349