Thonglor has long been recognised as Bangkok’s coolest neighbourhood, with enough swanky restaurants, late-night cafes, and trendy bars to keep all your after-dark adventures firmly fixated around Sukhumvit Soi 55.
But keeping up with Thonglor’s constantly developing nightlife scene is no easy task; as soon as a cool new venue has completed its numerous ‘soft opening’ parties, there’ll probably be another bar around the corner stealing the limelight the very next week.
So, to keep you up-to-date, we’ve pulled together a list of our current go-to bars in Thonglor, including some old favourites and a few newer hangouts.
- Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour
- Banyan Tree's Apsara Dinner Cruise
- Vertigo & Moon Bar Rooftop Dining
- Ayutthaya Ancient Capital Tour with River Cruise
- Shangri-La Hotel's Buffet Dinner Cruise
- Bridge on the River Kwai & Historic Railway Tour
- Siam Niramit Dinner Show
- Calypso Bangkok Cabaret Show
- Chao Phraya River Dinner Cruise
- Grand Palace & Emerald Buddha Half-Day Tour
The Iron Fairies is an excellent Thonglor bar designed like an ironsmith's workshop. Dark and broody, it has wrought iron staircases, exposed pipes, and bottles of fairy dust are stacked in rows. On weekends, it's usually packed all night long. You can find excellent signature cocktails as well as an extensive beer list that includes Thai, Japanese, Mexican and Dutch labels. A live band plays jazz and blues from 9pm onwards. Come here as a couple – it's a great place for a date – or part of a small group for after-work drinks. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Saturday from 9am to 2am, Sunday–Friday from 6pm to 2am
- Location: 394 Soi Sukhumvit 55, Khlong Tan Nuea, Watthana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)99 918 1600
Black Amber Social Club, founded by Chavin Nantaterm, is a whiskey bar and networking space for gentlemen in Thonglor. Items from Nantaterm’s antique collection are placed throughout the venue, including some gorgeous leather armchairs, a grand piano, and an entire ostrich skeleton in the lobby. Bangkok’s whiskey drinkers should also take note, as there’s a vast selection of single malts stacked behind the dimly-lit bar, plus a few rare bottles of rum, gin, and absinthe. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 6pm to 2am
- Location: 160/17 Thonglor Soi 6, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)2 102 8617
72 Courtyard in Bangkok is a 2-storey nightlife mall housing high-level bars, restaurants and cafes. Located in Thonglor, restaurants specialise in international cuisine, while casual bars serve a wide range of cocktails, imported wines and spirits until late. The mall also has a techno club on the 1st floor, so you’ll be able to enjoy a full night of wining, dining and partying within this purpose-built space. Expert mixologists come from all over the world, including the USA and Australia, providing high-quality cocktails to an international clientele. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 6pm to 1am (hours vary)
- Location: 72 Soi Sukhumvit 55, Klongton Nua, Watthana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)2 392 7999
Seenspace on Thonglor 13 consists of several bars, restaurants, and cafes. If you grab a table in the outside courtyard, you can enjoy multiple orders sent over from these venues. There’s a wide variety of choice, both in terms of food and drink. During the day, you can sweat it out at TRIBE Boxing Studio and get some work done at Space Oddity Café or Seenspace’s onsite co-working space. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 8am to midnight (hours vary)
- Location: 251/1 Thong Lo 13 Alley, Khlong Tan Nuea, Watthana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)2 185 2728
Badmotel Bangkok is a safe bet for drinks in Thonglor, thanks to its aesthetically pleasing atmosphere, outside garden, and an easy-to-reach location on Sukhumvit 55. The vibrant main bar is downstairs, which takes on a deliberately rough-and-ready design scheme. For a cosier setting, head to the intimate courtyard garden or the artsy upper floors for views of Thonglor. The bar hosts live DJs, who usually spin old-school r n’ b, funky house, and boogie every night. Read More...
- Opening Hours: Daily from 7.30am to 1am
- Location: 331/4-5 Soi Sukhumvit 55, Klongton-nua,, Bangkok 10110
- Tel: +66 (0)2 712 7288
Studio Lam stands up against Bangkok’s mainstream nightlife scene in pretty much every way possible – think old school turntables instead of CDs, herb-infused moonshine instead of Grey Goose, and niche World Music (with a focus on vintage Thai folk music). Seating is sparse, though you’ll find outside benches for the crowd to spill onto when things get busy (usually late weekends). The DJs or live bands playing at Studio Lam are so eclectic, you could get anything from African percussion to Indian vocal choirs.
- Opening Hours: Tuesday–Sunday from 6pm to 2am (closed on Mondays)
- Location: 51 Sukhumvit Rd, Khlong Tan Nuea, Watthana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
- Tel: +66 (0)2 261 6661
Mellow Restaurant & Bar
Mellow Restaurant & Bar might not exactly be reinventing the wheel when it comes to nightlife in Thonglor, but it does offer a rather laidback night-time experience. The bright sunlight flooding in through huge windows creates a pleasant setting for lunch, while the soft lighting, lavish leather sofas, and gentle house music attract a rather sophisticated crowd after-dark. Visit Mellow Restaurant & Bar during happy hour (5pm to 8pm) to enjoy a 50% discount on promos on cocktails, sake, umeshu (plum wine), and Asahi Draft.
- Opening Hours: 11:00-01:00 daily
- Location: Penny’s Balcony, Thonglor Soi 16, Bangkok
- Tel: +66(0)2 382 0065