Bangkok is filled with places where kids can learn about animals or see them at play. Nowadays, you can get closer than ever before... Care to dive with sharks, play with butterflies in their natural habitat, wrap a python around your neck or ride a paddle boat in a crocodile-infested pond? All the thrills you can imagine can be found at the only Zoo in Bangkok and several animal parks. Though most of these places (except for Dusit Zoo) are located on the outskirts of Bangkok, all of them are well worth a day trip and guarantee a fun excursion for the whole family.
Zoo & Animal Parks in Bangkok
Bangkok Butterfly Garden
Don't imagine beautiful frozen sets of wings under display cases with Latin names pinned underneath. Here, you enter the huge and lofty enclosure with rockeries, shady ferns, wild flowers and a cooling waterfall - the insects' natural habitat. Unfortunately only few species of beautiful winged creatures hide out within the dome so if you are really Read More...
- Opening Hours: 8:30 - 16:30 (Closed on Mondays)
- MRT: Chatuchak Park Subway
- BTS: BTS Mochit
- Tel: +66 (0)2 272 4359
- Price Range: Free!
Crocodile Farm & Zoo
The brainchild of Thailand's 'Crocodile King', Mr Utai Youngprapakorn, this is the world's largest crocodile farm and worth a trip just to witness the spectacular 'Crocodile Wrestling' and 'Acrobatic Elephant' shows held every hour. On top of the spectacle - keepers putting their heads into crocodiles mouths and the like - its also an education and research centre for the conservation of wildlife. There are also elephants, gibbons, lions and snakes in attendence. And the kids will enjoy the Dinosaur Museum with life-size models of dinosaurs and skeletons on display.
- Opening Hours: 07:00 - 18:00 (daily)
- Location: 30 kilometres from Bangkok in Samutprakan. Go by organised local tour, or take a taxi or car
- Tel: +66 (0)2 387 002
- Price Range: THB 300 for adults, THB 200 for children
Dusit Zoo, or 'Khao Din', is a fully-function animal park with facilities such as an animal hospital, zoo museum and educational centre, sightseeing train, activities ground and canteen. It houses some 1,600 domestic and international animals, including albino barking deer and white Bengal tigers. Covering a total area of 188,800sqm, Dusit Zoo was Thailand's very first Read More...
- Opening Hours: 08:00 - 18:00
- Location: Intersection of Rama V, Ratchavitee and U-Thong Nai Roads (entrance on all three sides)
- Tel: +66 (0)2 281 2000
- Price Range: Kids 50 baht, adults 100 baht
Divided into two parks, Marine Park and Safari World, it's an ideal action packed day out. Ideal for kids. Safari World is the only drive through open zoo in the heart of Bangkok, housing rare and endangered species from every part of the world. Drive your own car or take a ride on a safari mini-coach Read More...
- Highlights: Jungle Cruise River Adventure, a fun-filled flume ride through the tropical jungles of Africa and Asia with advanced animatronics and special effects.
- Opening Hours: Daily from 09:00 - 16:30
- Location: Km. 9 Ram Indra Road Strollers and wheelchair rental service available
- Price Range: Adults THB 400 , Children THB 300
Siam Ocean World
Two storeys underneath the glitzy Siam Paragon shopping mall, an aquatic wonderland the size of three Olympic swimming pools awaits your discovery at the Siam Ocean World. This underground aquarium, one of the largest in Southeast Asia, will dazzle you with innovative world-class exhibits and over 30,000 curious looking creatures from various depths and aquatic regions Read More...
Set up to produce anti-venom serom for snake-bite victims nationwide, the Snake farm is the place to head in town for poisonous snakes, from Cobras, Malayan Pit Vipers, King Cobras, Banded Kraits, to Russell Vipers. All are 'milked' (their venom extracted). Lots of information and close-up encounters available. Best to go half an hour before showtime as there's a Read More...
- Opening Hours: 08:30 - 16:30 (weekdays); 08:30 to 12:00 noon (Weekends & holidays)
- Location: Corner of Henry Dunant and Rama IV Roads